83 YEARS OF HISTORY

Mountain Theatre Company at The Highlands Playhouse, one of the country’s oldest professional theatre companies, is the legacy of Highlands’ early forward-thinking families.

The first troupe, all amateurs, formerly organized as the Highlands Little Theatre in the late 1930s, renamed Highlands Community Theatre in 1949, and later incorporated, receiving 501(c)(3) status, as Highlands Community Theatre Inc., in 1972.

The first big production was the Broadway comedy Dulcy. Reserved seats cost 50¢, bleacher seats were 35¢, and it was a sell out crowd. As the organization grew over the next several decades, so did the number of shows produced, along with the number of talented actors, designers and technicians needed for each season. In the early 1980s, Highlands Community Theatre Inc. started hiring professional actors and technicians to share their talents on the plateau. No longer a community theatre, the identity of the organization became that of the building it has occupied for nearly a century, The Highlands Playhouse. 

Long gone are the quiet off season days of Highlands. With the expanded year round population, the newly renamed Mountain Theatre Company is offering curated cinema from March - June, and live theatrical productions from July - December.

SINCE 1938
HP%20SKETCH_edited.jpg
10_edited.jpg